Meat dumplings in hot yogurt sauce – shish barak. Mix well and turn off the heat. To serve, place the shish barak dumplings in a serving dish and pour the yogurt sauce in another deep dish. It is customary to serve vermicelli rice along with it.
To serve, place the shish barak dumplings in a serving dish and pour the yogurt sauce in another deep dish. It is customary to serve vermicelli rice along with it. Add onion and all your spices and cook until meat is fully cooked, and onions have softened. You can cook Meat dumplings in hot yogurt sauce – shish barak using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Meat dumplings in hot yogurt sauce – shish barak
- It’s of – For the shish barak dumplings:.
- Prepare 2 cups of flour.
- Prepare 500 g of coarsely ground beef.
- Prepare 1 of small onion, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of white pepper.
- It’s 1 pinch of cinnamon.
- You need of For the sauce:.
- Prepare 1 kg of yogurt.
- You need 3 tablespoons of starch, dissolved in ½ cup water.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander, chopped.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
On a flat surface, dust some flour and roll the dough into a thin sheet around. Shish Barak is a traditional Lebanese dish, perhaps of Turkish/Ottoman origins (hence the name), which is basically made of tiny meat dumplings cooked in a plain yogurt stew. Shish Barak belongs to the "Tabeekh" traditional Lebanese category, ie, home stews, and is not usually served by main stream Lebanese restaurants. Shish Barak (Beef Stuffed dumplings in jameed sauce) Gracing Arab tables for hundreds of years, Shish Barak is a warm and comforting meal that delights your taste buds with every bite.
Meat dumplings in hot yogurt sauce – shish barak instructions
- To prepare the dough: sift the flour in a bowl with some salt. Gradually add water and knead to obtain a soft dough. Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 30 min..
- To prepare the filling: on high heat, fry the chopped onion in a skillet with the vegetable oil until golden. Add the ground meat, cinnamon, pepper and salt and fry until the meat turns brown. Set aside to cool..
- Preheat the oven to 180 ˚C..
- To make the shish barak dumplings: on a lightly floured surface, roll the dough using a rolling pin. Cut the dough into 4 cm circles..
- Place 1 teaspoon of filling at the centre of each circle and fold in half. Press edges together then bring both corners together to obtain a dumpling. Seal well..
- Put all the meat dumplings in a well-greased baking tray and bake for 10 min or until blushed. Remove from oven and set aside..
- To prepare the sauce: strain the yogurt into a pot, add the dissolved starch and place over medium heat. Stir continuously in a circular movement until yogurt thickens then reduce the heat. It is very important to stir continuously for the yogurt not to stick to the pot..
- In a small skillet, fry the minced garlic and fresh coriander with the vegetable oil and add them to the yogurt. Mix well and turn off the heat..
- To serve, place the shish barak dumplings in a serving dish and pour the yogurt sauce in another deep dish. It is customary to serve vermicelli rice along with it. In each individual plate, place a serving of rice and shish barak dumplings and cover with yogurt sauce..
- This serving method is recommended to preserve the crunchiness of the shish barak. Another way to serve it is to add the shish barak dumplings to the yogurt sauce before serving, in which case it will lose its crunchiness..
- Note: You can find the recipe 'vermicelli rice' in this application..
The stuffed meat dumplings in this traditional Arabic dish are bathed in a creamy and smooth yogurt sauce called, 'jameed (goats' milk yogurt)'. In a medium pot, add water, when it boils, drop the dumplings to cook them before mixing them with yogurt. Heat the yogurt mix in medium pot, on a medium heat and stir constantly so it won't break. Shish Barak (Lebanese Meat Dumplings in Yogurt Sauce) Cheaters tip: if you don't want to make the dough yourself, you can use wonton wrappers instead. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.