Doi-Katla Kalia (Carp Fish in Yoghurt Curry. Fish with Yogurt recipe #DoiKatla #CurdFishRecipe #FishRecipes This video shows the preparation of Doi Katla by #cookwithsonali. Doi Katla, Doi Maach, Bengali Traditional Doi Maach, Doi Pona Recipe. Bengali Style Fish Curry. **Bengali Fish Recipes in my cha.
Fish Curry with yogurt, or Doi Maach, as it is known in Bengali, is a dish prepared during festive occasions. The curry is cooked with larger fishes like carp (katla) or hilsha (Ilish). First fry (shallow-fry or deep-fry) the fish pieces in mustard oil and then put them in rich and delicious gravy. You can cook Doi-Katla Kalia (Carp Fish in Yoghurt Curry using 26 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Doi-Katla Kalia (Carp Fish in Yoghurt Curry
- Prepare 500 gms of Katla Fish (Big Slices/Pieces).
- It’s 4 tbsp of Cooking Oil (Any).
- It’s 1 Cup of Mustard Oil (To fry the Fish).
- Prepare To Taste of Salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Sugar.
- You need 1/2 Cup of Plain Yoghurt (well beaten with the sugar).
- You need 1 Cup of Onions 🧅 Slices.
- You need 2-3 of dry red chillies.
- It’s 1 tsp of cumin seeds.
- It’s 4-5 of cloves.
- It’s Few of black peppercorns.
- Prepare 1-2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 of cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 1-2 of green cardamoms.
- Prepare 1 of black cardimom.
- You need 1 tsp of Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder.
- You need 1 tsp of Red Chilli Powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Turmeric Powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of Ginger Paste.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Garlic Paste.
- You need 3-4 of Red Chilli Paste.
- It’s 1.5 tsp of Ghee.
- It’s 1-1.5 Cups of Hot Water (For Gravy).
- You need 1 of Small Tomatoes (Chopped/Optional).
- You need 1 tsp of Garam Masala Powder (Homemade).
- Prepare 2 of Potatoes (Optional): Ideally, it’s added though in the same 😊💁🏻♀️.
The main requirement of this great fish curry is Rui/ katla fish ((a kind of fresh water carp), mustard oil, Indian spices, yogurt, cashew and poppy seeds paste. Without these ingredients fish kalia can not be outstanding. Wash fish chunks and marinade with half of the turmeric powder and salt. Peel the skin of the potatoes and cut into halves.
Doi-Katla Kalia (Carp Fish in Yoghurt Curry step by step
- Clean the fish pieces & marinate with some salt & turmeric powder & set aside for at least 30-40 mins time (more is better always), Make a smooth paste out of the wet Masalas- aforementioned.
- Heat a frying pan 🍳 & fry the fish pieces in batches depending on its sizes to crispy dark brown Color over the medium-high flame 🔥.
- In another Frying Pan 🍳: Add in the oil & goes in the tempering spices & when it released the aroma add in the onion slices & some salt 🧂 & sauté until golden brown.
- Now, add in the wet masala paste & keep stirring continuously to avoid burning- Need to sauté until its raw smell goes off & release a nice 👍🏻 aroma from the same.
- Once well sautéd, put off the flame 🔥 to add in the whisked yoghurt with the sugar & add into the gravy while stirring continuously to avoid curdling of it & then putron the flame 🔥 again to complete the cooking.
- Add in some hot water for the desired GRAVY…once comes to the boiling point- add in the fried fish 🐠 & immerse it well- put the flame to the low & cover the lid & allow it to cook for another 10-12 mins time, lastly- put garam masala powder & ghee, give it a final mix- put off the flame 🔥 & allow it to rest it in its standby position for 10 mins time before serving hot.
- Serve it Hot with Hot Plain Rice 🍛💁🏻♀️🍚….ENJOY !!! 😍.
Add garlic, ginger and onion and saute it for a minute. Let it cool down and then make a paste of this using a mixer grinder. Doi Maach, one of the simplest fish curry recipe that I know. I have started cooking it when I was in hostel using a spirit lamp following Maa's instructions. This then followed by me cooking it almost regularly when I was working in Bihar and living alone.